If we teach women that there are only certain ways they may acceptably behave, we should not be surprised when they behave in those ways.
And we should not be surprised when they behave these ways during attempted or completed rapes.
Women who are taught not to speak up too loudly or too forcefully or too adamantly or too demandingly are not going to shout “NO” at the top of their goddamn lungs just because some guy is getting uncomfortably close.
Women who are taught not to keep arguing are not going to keep saying “NO.”
Women who are taught that their needs and desires are not to be trusted, are fickle and wrong and are not to be interpreted by the woman herself, are not going to know how to argue with “but you liked kissing, I just thought…”
Women who are taught that physical confrontations make them look crazy will not start hitting, kicking, and screaming until it’s too late, if they do at all.
Women who are taught that a display of their emotional state will have them labeled hysterical and crazy (which is how their perception of events will be discounted) will not be willing to run from a room disheveled and screaming and crying.
Women who are taught that certain established boundaries are frowned upon as too rigid and unnecessary are going to find themselves in situations that move further faster before they realize that their first impression was right, and they are in a dangerous room with a dangerous person.
Women who are taught that refusing to flirt back results in an immediately hostile environment will continue to unwillingly and unhappily flirt with somebody who is invading their space and giving them creep alerts.
People wonder why women don’t “fight back,” but they don’t wonder about it when women back down in arguments, are interrupted, purposefully lower and modulate their voices to express less emotion, make obvious signals that they are uninterested in conversation or being in closer physical proximity and are ignored. They don’t wonder about all those daily social interactions in which women are quieter, ignored, or invisible, because those social interactions seem normal. They seem normal to women, and they seem normal to men, because we were all raised in the same cultural pond, drinking the same Kool-Aid.
And then, all of a sudden, when women are raped, all these natural and invisible social interactions become evidence that the woman wasn’t truly raped. Because she didn’t fight back, or yell loudly, or run, or kick, or punch. She let him into her room when it was obvious what he wanted. She flirted with him, she kissed him. She stopped saying no, after a while.
this post is…giving me life.
reblogging again because it’s just so very accurate as fuck. people who haven’t seen this need to see and and people who have seen it could probably stand to see it again.
- ktcomplicated likes this
- thesexypenguin likes this
- bethwithfeels reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- itsobviouslysalmon likes this
- itsgoodbyesweetie reblogged this from holymotherofrowling
- nyuroux likes this
- uhhhguuuleee likes this
- mahrahia reblogged this from damaramegido
- queenhinata likes this
- shibbeh likes this
- melodythehoneybee reblogged this from smdy
- smdy reblogged this from threeleftfeet
- cinnamonroad likes this
- doctorscientist reblogged this from limb-of-satan
- limb-of-satan reblogged this from r-a-t-c-h-e-tt
- r-a-t-c-h-e-tt reblogged this from culpabl-e
- astrangersmind reblogged this from p0kemina
- covetandcontravene likes this
- kvltvr reblogged this from littlebarofsoap
- littlebarofsoap reblogged this from albinwonderland
- theseeroh reblogged this from albinwonderland
- hermionevimes reblogged this from onedarkangel
- ocean-walli likes this
- boggarts-and-broomsticks reblogged this from dreamsinthemirror
- dr-zed reblogged this from int3rr0bang
- culpabl-e reblogged this from int3rr0bang
- boggarts-and-broomsticks likes this
- dreamsinthemirror reblogged this from int3rr0bang
- int3rr0bang reblogged this from raebird
- ashleighncox likes this
- sashleyalways reblogged this from rwantsthed
- iamasugarskull reblogged this from dosed-by-you
- dosed-by-you reblogged this from iamasugarskull
- ecogoddess reblogged this from everseeking
- essaysandboys reblogged this from feminist-submissive
- kleynefish likes this
- uv-catastrophe likes this
- theboredboi reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- nictetrujillo reblogged this from getundermyfrills
- airaine reblogged this from albinwonderland
- nerdybass reblogged this from yeahwellyourface
- causeicraft likes this
- theuncensoredbookaneer likes this
- linneakou reblogged this from hookchosetheswangirl
- didsomebodysay likes this
- harlequinpuppettheatre reblogged this from yeahwellyourface
- yeahwellyourface reblogged this from feministcrixus
- grumpypumpkinprincess likes this
- hookchosetheswangirl reblogged this from feministcrixus